Tuesday, August 3, 2010

WORKING WITH FIBERGLASS

Tips from Mr. Mancebo:

I like the ease of using fiberglass.  But I have also heard horror stories of people becoming sensitized.  Before working with epoxy, download the System three's book http://www.systemthree.com/reslibrary/literature/The_Epoxy_Book.pdf and actually read it.
1.  Use Nitrile gloves and wear a double pair.  Keep gloves that aren't trashed in bucket and use them as the outer pair.
2.  I have a garage attached to the house and did not want to fumigate the rest of the family.  Mr. Mancebo recommended System Three General Purpose Epoxy.  Most nights I do wear a respirator, but on nights that I don't, the order is barely detectable.
3.  Use chip brushes to apply epoxy and work the fiberglass tape.  Cut the top third off the brush.  I tried it both ways and cutting the tip significantly improved spreading the epoxy.

No comments:

Post a Comment