Friday, July 30, 2010

Getting Started

A brief history.  I have always wanted to build my own sail boat.  However, extended work hours leave very little time for building.  I enjoyed reading the postings of Puddle Duck Racers such as http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/08/gatherings/tx200-2/index.htm and liked the concept of being able to race other designers that were interested in building a simple boat and getting out on the water.  The web site http://www.pdracer.com/ definitely emphasized the aspect of the home builder.  I ordered one set of plans and found the plan decipher too intense for my limited time available for building.  Essentially I get 1/2 hour to 1 hour 3 to 4 times a week and maybe two hours on the weekend.  I am very fortunate to work with a Naval Architect, D. Mancebo, who has history of building and designing several successful racing sail boats.  I must have struck a soft spot with Mr. Mancebo as I started designing my own PDR and asked for advice.  Mr. Mancebo started developing a set of plans that are clear and easy to follow.  It is my intent to add a little of what I have learned and hopefully some of Mr. Mancebo's insights and tips.  I also hope Mr. Macebo makes his plans available on Duckworks or somewhere similar.  The more of us building, hopefully the more of us sailing and racing.  Currently I am building two PDRs.  It seems once you start cutting out a pattern or ripping a dimensioned piece of lumber, it just doesn't take that long to cut or fit a few more pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment